HDF journey and achievements
Human Development Foundation advocates for a healthy habitat. Under its sustainable environment program, HDF has conducted various tree plantation drives, clean-up drives and renewable energy projects. In 2018 HDF took a new initiative of starting an advocacy campaign to end tobacco consumption in Pakistan with the aim of ensuring a clean environment and a healthy lifestyle among the masses. The goal of this campaign is to create synergies among different stakeholders for sustainable anti-tobacco policy reforms aimed at protecting the youth of the country.
- HDF sensitized the Ministry of Health for drafting the “Sin Tax/Health Levy” on tobacco products for submission before National Assembly. As a result, the government committed to a health levy of Rs. 10/pack on cigarettes announced in the budget for FY2019-20.
- Multiple trainings and awareness sessions with journalists and media persons resulted in the adoption of a more effective taxation structure for tobacco control. In its Fiscal Budget for 2019-2020, the government of Pakistan announced the removal of the third tier of low taxes in tobacco taxation structure.
- HDF, in collaboration with Pakistan National Heart Association (PANAH), Tobacco Control Cell and Verso Consulting (Pvt) Ltd under the technical guidance of FCTC Knowledge Hub, carried out a research study titled “Study to Assess the Volume of Illicit Cigarette Brands in Pakistan” and found that the total volume of trade of illicit cigarette brands is 10%, contrary to the claim of tobacco industry that it constitutes a major chunk. (link to the online version of the study will be provided here)
Pakistan Civil Society Alliance (PCSA) for Tobacco Control: Supporting the global campaign to reduce the use of tobacco and save lives, HDF created PCSA for tobacco control in all four provinces of Pakistan. PCSA consists of civil society organizations, media, academia, health care industry and youth. The main objectives of PCSA are;
- Raising awareness on tobacco control laws and advocate for the effective enforcement of these laws
- Ensuring that the organizations aboard have smoke-free offices while advocating for smoke-free public spaces and strengthen the policing of violations in light of anti-tobacco laws in their respective regions
- Understanding and sharing good practices learned from success stories across the world and acting as advocates to the policymakers for the adoption of these good practices
(Links to the news of all four launches will be provided)